Life and Work and all that kind of thing.
So I thought I’d actually publish a blog post for once, as it’s been sitting empty since I made the site. I wasn’t sure what I wanted to write about here really, as this is my portfolio site for client work etc. But I’m kind of just leaning toward keeping it more of a casual thing, where I share work I’m doing for myself, life things, art things, design things… and that sort of stuff.
I used to have a blog almost 10 years ago called Grafikheart where I shared this kind of stuff, but once full time designer life kicked in I just stopped updating it. It doesn’t exist now cos I couldn’t afford to keep the domain. So yeah. This blog will be that kind of thing again, so if you ever by chance read that blog (highly doubt it haha) then you’ll know what to expect. But for those who are new here, hi.
Right now I’m sitting on the couch next to the cat listening to some music and thinking about what I should write for this first post. I know there is a big content marketing trend going on where you’re encouraged to be a “personal brand” and share stuff about yourself or personality in order to show people that you’re human and not some kind of spammy robot.
Well I am human, (but I could just be saying that cos I’m actually a robot) so I guess that’s a good place to start? I’m kind of a rambling writer so I thought I’d just write a list of bullet points with 20 miscellaneous things about me so you can get to know me a bit better:
- I was born and raised in Auckland, but lived in Christchurch for 2 years in my early 20s.
- My favourite Beatle is George.
- For my 21st birthday, I jumped off the sky tower.
- In high school, I played guitar in a band. Our biggest gig was playing Metallica’s for whom the bell tolls at our sixth form talent quest.
- I love scouring charity shops and library sales for piles of old magazines,
- I’m currently studying illustration at the Browne School of Art
- I have a Bachelor of Arts majoring in English, a postgraduate diploma in secondary teaching (English and media studies), a diploma of journalism studies and a diploma of graphic design.
- I once won a dancing competition at my intermediate school disco and the prize was a cycle helmet… which still fits my head somehow.
- I’ve probably made over 1000 web banners in the past 8 years.
- My passions are graphic design, illustration, peanut butter and collage.
- The first CD I ever bought was Frogstomp by Silverchair.
- I have a 2.5 year old son who is obsessed with Thor and Hulk.
- I tried to do roller derby and trained hard. I stuck it out for 6 months but was so useless at skating that I quit.
- I have worked in the NZ film industry doing design for the past 8 years, and in that time created some crazy stuff, including turning the entrance of a movie theatre into a spaceship.
- I don’t have a favourite colour but I don’t like yellow very much.
- I worked at an art house movie theatre throughout university.
- I have an obsession with notebooks and have 3 or 4 on the go at all times.
- My current fave hobby is making natural soaps.
- My husband and I’s first date was going to see Snakes on a Plane.
- If you want to make me happy then buy me coffee, doughnuts or flowers.
Exciting stuff !
In all seriousness though, I’m hoping to update this blog semi regularly as a way to chronicle my creative pursuits whether they be client work, personal work or just me trying my hand at new things. I’m a bit of a Jane of all trades when it comes to all the things that interest me, so stick around.
In between posts, you can find me over on Instagram @Rach_hussey